[the harm reductionist]
Send me a message on my linkedin or email me at jamesagould123 (at) gmail.com.
What is this?
I am an activist, web developer, and harm reductionist. This is a resume of my harm reduction related work.
What is Harm Reduction?
Harm reduction is a public health strategy aimed at reducing consequences harms associated with risky behavior.
Find out more information here.
I'm looking for a job working on criminal justice reform or drug policy reform.
Harm Reduction Work
Just Say Know Peer Education Intern
September 2017 to present
Syringe access volunteer
March 2017 to present
- Peer Educator - Educated 8th and 11th graders about drugs, harm reduction and drug policy.
- Materials Development - Worked to create educational materials catered to a middle and high school demographic.
Volunteer sitter, greeter, and logkeeper
At several events from May 2017 to present
- Worked syringe exchange table, helped interface participants with harm reduction services.
- Prepared and maintained harm reduction supplies.
- Assisted with neighborhood cleanup.
April 2016 to present
- Sitter - Sat with people having difficult psychological and/or psychedelic experiences, provided comfort and support.
- Greeter - Protected the space and gave passer-bys information about our services.
- Logkeeper - Kept paperwork and documentation on the guests that came to us for services.
- Organizer - Organized drug checking services, and campaigned for official reinstatement of services after being shut down.
- Advocate - Advocated for government approved and exempt and government-run drug checking programs with local public health agencies.
Other Notable Harm Reduction Work and Experience
- Member of the Steering Committee for the Boulder County Opioid Advisory Group, advised on drug policy as a community member and harm reductionist
- Volunteered with Boulder County Public Health for Naloxone access
- Testified for harm reduction legislation and law reforms at Colorado State Capitol and at the United States Capitol
- Advised the University of Colorado Boulder on improvements to their harm reduction education
- Trained by Boulder County AIDS Project on HIV/AIDS
- Trained by Harm Reduction Action Center, Boulder County Public Health, and University of Colorado Boulder staff on naloxone
- Trained by Zendo Project and Medicinal Mindfulness on sitting and holding space with people having difficult psychological and/or psychedelic experiences
- My activist work, especially work with organizations such as Students for Sensible Drug Policy, CanIexpunge and Psychedelic Club, has reduced harm in a variety of ways.